Saturday, January 17, 2015

Best Books


Best Books

I wrote seven fiction books before I wrote my first non-fiction novel. And the reason I wrote The Best Book on How to Write Publish and Market Your Novel into a Best Seller is because, like many of my fellow novelists, I lost my book deal shortly after the Great Recession hit in 2010 and my publisher ran into financial trouble.

I didn't think much of it at the time because the book Frostie the Deadman was selling well and I figured I wouldn't have any problem getting another publisher.

I was wrong. The writers strike had hit and all those striking writers took that time to write novels of their own, flooding the market.

Again no big deal, I decided I could make more money with my own publishing company, Ari publishing What I didn't take into account was that I didn't know a thing about the publishing business.

BIG MISTAKE.

So I set out to learn all I could. And when I did I was startled at how different the publishing industry was from what I thought it was. So much so that I felt a need to inform all my fellow writers that getting a book deal required a hell of a lot more than simply writing a great book. And so The Best Book on How to Write Publish and Market Your Novel into a Best Seller was born.

But it didn't stop there. During my research I learned what I considered priceless information on how to recover when your life crashes and burns. So much so I created a website that caters to the needs of people who are recovering from emotional and physical difficulties. http://howtobeginagain.com 

Then I wrote a book on how to survive a divorce, how to sell ANYTHING on the internet, how to make money online and what you REALLY NEED TO KNOW before you agree to marry someone.

And I was having a great time doing it! And I was making money, especially once I turned them into audiobooks. 

But the problem was that, at heart, I am a fiction writer and I really missed it.

So I decided to write book 5 of my Revolution in America series. But as I was preparing, two characters I had used in a few satirical articles in my blog, kept tugging at my sleeve demanding that I tell their story, not just bits and pieces of it.

Those characters were Gam'pa and Bosco O'Bama the Third.  To be honest, I had no idea what kind of story they had to tell. Most of my fiction novels are action/adventure, featuring men and women in facing danger and almost insurmountable odds. A book about a elderly retiree and a four-year-old boy clearly did not fit into that mold.

But they wouldn't let go, so I started writing a book where I had absolutely no idea how it was going to turn out or even what genre it would be in. And that book became Whateverland

At first, it appeared to be a comedy, there are some funny bits in the first chapters and I thought it would continue that way.

But then it turned with the arrival of two new characters, Gam'pa's daughters Anne and Eleanor. Their input brought a seriousness into the topic of caregiving to dementia patients, which led to the horror of dementia patients realizing the information their brains are giving them is not only wrong, but dangerous and self destructive. 

Then it occurred to me that just because a family member is ill doesn't erase all the other daily difficulties that challenge us all. And the more their individual stories came to light the more I felt for them. Gam'pa, Bosco, Anne, Eleanor and even the difficult Mrs. Tuttle became people I dearly cared for.

I think you will care for them too.

Whateverland is temporarally priced at 99 cents in the hope of attracting reviewers. Once aquired, the price of the e book will rise to $7.99 The soon to be released paperback will be priced at $12.99. The audiobook version should be released by March of this year.

Amazon gives readers the opportunity to read the first few chapters to see if a certain book is tailored for them. You can get a taste of Whateverland by clicking on the TRY IT FREE link on the lower right of the page to download a sample
http://www.amazon.com/Whateverland-Zackary-Richards-ebook/dp/B00S9XKLMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1421511321&sr=1-1&keywords=zackary+richards

Enjoy

visit our sponsor