Thursday, January 19, 2012

Yeah...I saw a UFO

          I don’t like admitting that I saw a UFO. I don’t believe in them. Never have, still don’t.
But I saw one nonetheless.
          Now let me preface this by saying that I am not sitting at the computer wearing a tin foil hat. Although I am a writer and all writers are considered to be a little off, I am not a nut. Frankly, I would never wear a tin foil hat, especially now that it’s winter and my Napoleon Bonaparte bicorne hat does such an excellent job of keeping my head warm.
          Now on to the UFO.
As most of you know, I spent my younger days as a musician. One night in the mid 1980’s after finishing recording at my Bronx studio, I packed up, climbed the stairs with my brother and wife, walked outside into the night air and saw everyone staring upward in one of those, “It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Superman,” poses.
          We looked too and sonavagun, there it was!
 I’ll describe.
          The thing was HUGE, about the size of a football field, completely black with six lights at the front in tight formation. It moved very slow, about 10-15 miles an hour, and no more than 40 feet above. Plus it made no noise.
          I’ll repeat the last part. IT MADE NO NOISE.
          Having lived in New York City all my life I saw and heard the Goodyear and Fuji blimps fly overhead, saw and heard airplane gliders whoosh through the air and even spotted and heard the occasional red propane blast from a balloon basket.
          But nothing this big could move this slowly, silently. Simply not possible back in the mid 1980s. And because it was so ridiculously slow we followed it with my car. We’d drive ahead, then stop and watch as it went by. Each person we met asked what we thought it was.
          We said their guess was as good as ours.
Interestingly enough, Some people refused to look. I didn’t understand that. This was an event a person would remember for the rest of their lives and apparently they were determined not to see it. It wasn’t until later that I learned that some people’s mental well-being is so precariously close to the edge that the possibility of visitors from space just might tip them over.  As for me, I was fascinated and baffled at the same time. Just when I thought I had figured it out, it threw me a curveball.
          We were watching for at least a half hour when I noted the six lights in tight formation had not deviated even the slightest bit and suspected they might actually be single engine planes miles ahead pulling this, whatever it was overhead, by a tether.
          Minutes later, as if in response to my growing theory, the six lights broke from formation and began swirling, doing box-like turns, moving up, down and sideways, stopping in mid motion and other demonstrations of  aerial agility that is simply not possible, even with today’s technology.
          So, there went my plane theory.
          As to what it really was, I have no idea. I suspect it was some sort of military aircraft using early stealth technology that was being tested to see how many people would detect it.
          Turns out, there were 150,000 of us. Tens of thousands of phone calls lit up police stations and governmental agencies from Poughkeepsie in mid–NY state, all the way  to Manhattan.
          What we saw that night was the famed Westchester Wing, a reportedly triangular shaped object about 100 yards long that casually flew over the New York skies for over 100 miles. It made all the newspapers and television news, was even featured on the TV show Unsolved Mysteries, hosted by Robert Stack.
          They noted that the Westchester Wing, as it had been christened, was the largest sighting of an unidentified flying object in history.
          That was almost thirty years ago which begs the question. If it was a government aircraft constructed to fly silently, invisibly and undetected directly overhead, has that technology since been perfected? And if so, where is it being used?
Frankly, I’d be more comfortable with the alien spacecraft scenario.

As always, if you enjoyed this blog, you might enjoy reading one of my books. You can read a sample of any of them at www.aripublishing.com Or click on one of the boxes below and share this with a friend.