Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Reviews and the Kindness of Strangers

    As all of you who follow my blog know, I’m a writer with a book coming out soon and before its release I went on line and asked anyone who would be interested in reviewing a book called ‘How to Write, Publish and Market you Novel into a Bestseller’ to contact me and I would send them a PDF copy.

   Many people did so I sent it to them and within days I received emails with their views on the book.

   If there is one thing I’ve learned as a writer it’s no matter how many times you’ve proofread your work, no matter how many times you’ve gone over it with a fine tooth comb, it’s still going to be riddled with glaring errors that you somehow managed to overlook.

   I’ve received my share of red pencil marks on the final versions of my novels, which is why I stress the importance of getting an editor before submitting your novel to any agent or publisher.

   Anyway, the first response I received was from a woman who took me to task for my poor placement of links (which I immediately fixed) for omitting several places where writers could submit their work, (we continue to disagree on that) and of course for a number of  misspells and typo’s that I appreciate her catching. (I fixed that as well). 
   
   She went on to say that my instructions on how to choose titles was very informative and that she’d be using that method for her future novels.

   But the most important part is that she took the time to read my book for no compensation whatsoever and made the effort to write down how the book could be improved.

   The next day, another reviewer contacted me and said it was the best book she had ever read on the topic and would refer to it often when fashioning her own novels (she also found some minor errors the first reviewer missed and I fixed them too)

   The following day I heard from two additional reviewers, both applauding the book and pointing out what I hope were the last of the misspells and typos. (Fat chance)
But again, it was clear they read the entire novel and found it engaging enough to want to help improve it and for that I am very thankful.

  Here’s picture of the cover.




  And if you are interested in reviewing How to Write Publish and Market your Novel into a Bestseller, email me at czarrichards@gmail.com and I’ll send you a PDF. Better hurry though, once my editor finishes with it and the corrections are made, it goes straight into publication.